Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)

Truck Driving Licences


Getting a Truck licence?

For a MR licence you will need to have held your car license for a minimum of 12 months.

For a HR license you need to have held your car license for a minimum of 2 years.

For a HC license you need to have held your HR license for a minimum of 1 year.

You also need to complete the Heavy Vehicle Test with QLD Transport.

How do I become a truck driver?

You become a truck driver by undergoing a training course. This course is in 2 parts:

Part 1) The first part is the written test,  click this link Practice Road Rules Test, it will take you to the Queensland Government website. On this website are the questions that you will have to answer in the written test. 

For the car licence test, you will have to correctly answer? Questions.
For the heavy vehicle test, you will have to correctly answer? Questions.

Part 2) After you have passed your written/ theory test, you can begin your practical training for a car/ heavy vehicle licence.

After I have passed my test, what next?

After you have passed your test, and you have got your licence, you have to look for a job.

We very strongly recommend that you always drive with an experienced driver first. If driving a car after passing your test is scary and intimidating, imagine how anxious and uneasy you would feel driving a truck for the first time.

We also recommend that you try to drive on various road surfaces and weather conditions.

How many hours will it take to get qualified?

Each individual is different in how they learn and the learning time can vary from person to person. As a general rule most people tend to take about 4-6 lessons for cars and Light to Medium Rigid vehicles and 7-10 lessons Heavy Rigid and Heavy Combo. 

What qualification will I have when I finish?

After you have passed your test, you will receive the relevant licence class for the test taken.

How long does my qualification last for?

Current heavy vehicle permits issued by the department will remain valid until the permit’s expiry date, or for 5 years (whichever comes first), unless the permit is otherwise amended by the NHVR.

What are the skills I will learn during my practical training?

  • You will learn how to maneuver a larger capacity and weight load.
  • Learn the proper signals on the road.
  • You will also learn how to work with the different signals in the truck that you are driving.
  • Turning and the different maneuvers with the truck.

How much will it cost to get my licence?

Please refer to our the various Courses pages on this website for the cost to get your licence.

How long does each lesson take?

Each lesson is approximately one hour in length. 

I have an overseas license so can I just get tested immediately for a current QLD licence?

This varies from country to country of origin. Depending on the country your license is from, it might lessen the time needed to acquire your lesson. In general, you will be required to have one lesson and it is a requirement by law that you take a new test with QLD Transport. Overseas licences are not valid in Australia. 

What happens if I fail?

You can retake the test for and additional testing fee of $350 which includes 1 hour training + test day and booking fee with QLD Transport.

How do I pay for my lesson?

We accept Eftpos, Cash, Direct Deposit and Cheques. All lessons are to be paid for on the day or in advance. 

What do I need to get started?

This varies depending on the license you have or are wanting to acquire.

Do I need a car licence to get a truck licence?

Yes. To get a truck or MR licence, you’ll need to have held your car licence for a minimum of 12 months. For a HR licence, you need to have held your car licence for a minimum of two years. For an MC licence, you need to have held your HR licence for a minimum of one year. You must also complete the Heavy Vehicle Test through Queensland QLD Transport.

How do I get a licence?

You acquire a licence by firstly passing a written test set by Queensland transport. After you’ve passed the written test, you can then begin practical training assessed in an exam at the end of the course.

What happens after I've passed my test?

We strongly recommend that before you drive a truck or heavy vehicle alone, you drive with an experienced driver first. Practice makes perfect and we recommend you get as much experience as you can on different road surfaces.

How many lessons do I need?

This depends on how fast you learn and your previous experience. As a general rule, it can take a minimum of four lessons for cars and light to medium rigid vehicles, and a minimum of seven lessons for heavy rigid and heavy combination vehicles.

How long does my licence last for?

Current heavy vehicle permits issued by the department are valid for five years unless the permit is otherwise amended by the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR).

How much does my licence cost?

Please refer to the Courses page for the price of each licence.

How long are the lessons?

Each lesson is one hour.

Can I transfer my overseas licence to a Queensland licence?

This depends on a case-by-case basis depending on the country of origin and class of vehicle. Please contact us to discuss your specific requirements.

What happens if I fail?

You can rebook the test by paying for an additional test and one-hour lesson.

How do you accept payment?

We accept cash, EFTPOS, direct deposit and cheque before each lesson.

Forklift Licences


What are the responsibilities of Forklift drivers?

1) Operate a Forklift – This involves loading and unloading goods, from trucks and storing them.

2) Inspections – It is the Forklift driver’s responsibility to make sure the forklifts are in good working order. All loads must be inspected to make sure they are safe and properly secured.

3) Miscellaneous – You may have to use other equipment like telescopic handlers to fulfill your responsibilities.

What is the minimum age to get a Forklift licence?

To be eligible for a forklift licence you must be at least 18 years of age.

How long is the duration of course?

Training will be for 2 days. Assessment will be 1 extra day. 

Do I need to undergo a medical examination to do a Forklift operator course?

No, you do not need to undergo a medical examination to do this course.

What are the skills required to be a Forklift operator?

i) You must be aware that safety is of paramount importance in being a forklift operator. Your safety and the safety of those around you is your responsibility.

ii) You must be physically strong and fit. This job requires strength and effort.

iii) You must have the ability to follow your supervisor’s oral and written instructions.

iv) You must have a mature mindset. Driving a forklift is serious work. This job requires a high degree of responsibility and professionalism.

v) Language literacy and numeracy (LLN) skills are a must. This includes: Reading, Writing, Oral Communication, Numeracy. You will have to calculate the load, estimate the lifting height and the distance covered.

What are the job opportunities of a forklift operator?

This a highly skilled job and hence the opportunities for employment are very bright. You could be working in warehouses, ports, construction sites and airports.

Backhoe Licences


What is a backhoe?

A backhoe is a type of earthmoving equipment featuring a digging bucket attached to an articulated arm. Backhoes can be mounted to the back of a tractor or a front loader.

What is a backhoe used for?

Backhoes are primarily used for earthmoving and excavation applications. The backhoe bucket can be replaced with various attachments to suit the requirements of different jobs.

Do you need a licence to operate a backhoe?

There is no backhoe licence – it’s a unit of competency and each worksite needs to prove competency in order to operate. Getting a backhoe unit of competency from a registered training organisation ensures you have the skills to safely operate this machinery.

Call Now Button